Eat your greens with a twist! Creamy spinach cheese sauce on whole wheat penne pasta topped with crispy bacon. Use only one medium pot to prepare the entire meal!
- 3 cup whole wheat penne pasta, uncooked
- 3 slices turkey bacon
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 4 oz. fat free cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup carb-smart milk
- 1/4 cup reduced fat parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 fresh basil leaf chopped OR 1 tsp dry
- 1/4 tsp Morton light salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Cook bacon in bottom of medium pot on medium -high until brown and crisp. Remove bacon from pot and set aside. Cut into small pieces when cool.
- Sauteed yellow pepper in bottom of the same pot for 3 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside. Wipe out pot with a paper towel.
- Fill pot 1/2 full with water and boil spinach leaves for 1 minute. Use a slotted spoon to remove and put into blender. Add milk and cream cheese to blender and mix. Add parmesan cheese, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper and mix.
- Bring same water to boil. Boil penne pasta for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain water.
- Add spinach mixture and yellow peppers to pasta and mix lightly. Serve pasta and top with bacon.
263.5 cal; 2.6 g fat; 49.5 g carb; 7.1 g fiber; 14.1 g protein