Does grandma make you cookies every time you visit or mom insist you take that leftover cake home? Our friends & family can unintentionally sabotage our health & fitness goals. US News recently posted a few psychology-backed tips for getting the fam to give you the support you need in your weight-loss journey. Check out our summary here:
How others may react to your decision to lose weight
- People may perceive your lifestyle changes as a threat to your relationship.
- Friends and family may worry you are judging their own eating choices.
- Your spouse may be afraid that if you lose weight, you will no longer be attracted to them and they will lose you.
Proactive strategies you can take
- Remind your loved ones that your lifestyle changes will not affect your relationships.
- Coach them on how they can help you.
- Express gratitude when they do help you.
- Be patient. Give your friends and family time to adjust to your new lifestyle.
- Gently point out how their behavior hinders you.
- Be responsible. In the long run, you have to be committed to yourself and your goals, no matter what your friends and family choose to do.
To read the full article, click here: Are Your Friends And Family Sabotaging Your Health Goals?