With so many fast food options out there these days it can be pretty difficult to keep up your healthy eating habits. Go ahead and check out our tips and give a few of them a try the next time you plan on eating out.
1. It’s All About Portion Control
- Go for the smaller sandwich, half sandwich, single patty ( avoid double and triple deckers) and if you’re feeling really adventurous ask for an “unwhich” aka swap the bread for lettuce. If you are a carb lover like me, go for the whole grain options.
- Remember what they taught you in school? Just say NO… to supersizing, larges, or refills, that is.
- Get yourself a kids meal, you get the same food, just a smaller amount. Plus you get a toy. You might not be into the latest Pokemon or minion figurines, but your kids aren’t going to complain when mom comes home with a brand new toy for them.
2. Salad, Salad, Salad!
- Skip the fries and grab yourself a delicious side salad.
- When it comes to the protein, go for grilled, choosing grilled over fried will save you 200 calories, 20 grams of carbs and 10 grams of fat. Not bad, eh?
- Watch out for add-ins such as bacon, cheese, croutons and dressings. Check the labels and ask for low-calorie dressing options.
3. Don’t Drink Your Calories
- This is a tough one for a lot of people, there’s a lot of soda lovers out there and moms who crave a little caffeine boost. The truth is soda is packed with empty calories and there are a lot of other healthy and tasty options out there. Like, you know, water… If plain ol’ water isn’t going to do it for you, try lemon water or even fruit infused water. For those that want a little carbonation, use club soda from the fountain drink machine and put a fresh lime or lemon in it, and if they have it, some diet syrup. Club soda, diet coconut syrup and fresh lime is to die for!
4. Plan to Eat Out
- Let’s face it. We all eat out. In fact, 1 in 4 American’s eat fast food every single day. 20% of the meals we eat are in our car. 10% of our income goes to fast food every year. So instead of feeling guilty about eating out, embrace it, have fun and try out a new restaurant.
- Prepare yourself in advance by looking over the menu before you get there so you can confidently and quickly order a healthy meal. It’s easier to plan ahead to make a good choice than to decide in the moment when your tummy is grumbling.
5. Choose Your Dessert Carefully
- Believe it or not, you can eat dessert without gaining a million pounds.
- Simply ask for a smaller portion.
- Make it yourself! There are many simple substitutions that don’t skimp on flavor and erase a lot of calories. For example, swap that milkshake out for a protein shake. You’ll be surprised how satisfied you are.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our nutritionist and start seeing some progress in your personal health goals.